Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I've been using flash the wrong way!

For the last couple of weeks I have been exploring previously unknown to me type of photography. I have always been using available light, maybe with some simple reflectors, or occasionaly fill in flash. I have never felt the need to use something different that what I had. Until some time ago I came across a website, that I think every photographer should know - Strobist. Created by David Hobby for anyone interested in creative lighting techniques. You may be under impression, that this is a site for people, that use some pretty strange equipment, and that have no idea, how to use a flash in their photographs. You can't be more wrong! It is absolute MUST for every photographer, who wants to understand the light.

The purpose of the website is to convince photographers, that they don't need to spend a fortune on studio equipment. They can use small strobes(it almost doesn't matter waht kind, how old, or how cheap), that are usually used attached to the hotshoe at the top of our cameras. The whole point is to take the light off the camera body, and put it at an angle you want. And believe me, it's brilliant! Now you don't really need to depend on the available light, but you can create your own - exacly as you want it(or mix it with ambient for more crisp and perfectly lit images). There is absolutely no downside to it! And because you don't have to use brand new(but you ofcourse can, if you like!) equipment it is surprisingly cheap!

Only essential piece of kit is a strobe with manual power adjustment, something to trigger it, and a subject! That's it! That means you can get started fo as little as few £££!!! And the results are just incredible! It is just like discovering photography all over again. You will never look at your subjects in the same way you did until now, as there are almost no boundaries! Add a stand and umbrella(or a softbox, snoot, beauty dish, or honeycomb, or any other light modifier you want!) and you've got a studio light!

Even if you don't really want to get into studio photography(or any additional light sources, and you want to stick to the available light) you should read through the lighting techniques on the Strobist website. You will learn how to light subjects in different situations, what is the quality og light and how does it affect your images, and tons and tons of useful things about lighting your subject in general. Strobist has changed the way I looked at my photography, and I think it halped me take a huge step forward in developing my skills. There is no excuse for not even trying! Who knows? You may become a strobist yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment